Sunday, August 24, 2008

In my own backyard

Saturday, we had a couple hours to blow until Sam had to go into work.
We thought we would take advantage of the now limited good weather days in Utah.
We took the kids up to Bridal Veil Falls in the Provo Canyon.

We had a couple of kids in diapers last time we went up there, I remember them getting all soggy and wet.
Of course that could have been anytime in the past ten years...it is all a blur.

It really is a beautiful place.

Sometimes you forget about things that are this close to where you live.
I keep telling my friend Wendy, who lives in a really cool city by a beach, that we should trade houses for a weekend.
She wondered why in the world she would want to come to Utah?
HA Wendy! HA!
You will regret scoffing at me now. Scoffer.
Our billy-goat kids started hiking to the top of the falls.
I said to Sam, I think I will climb up with them for a minute and get a couple of pictures.

It was rock.
It was shifting rock.
I was barefoot.
Me=Idiot.
My kids were barefoot too.
Of course, since summer was wrapping up, their feet are like leather, and mine, well...they are delicate.
Plus, that very morning Ponica took me to that Cycling class again. And my squatter was good and sore, so I had a hard time with the climb itself.
I couldn't keep up, and about half-way there I realized my plight...but like a good picture taking soldier, I went on. Bloodied feet and all.
Here are the upper falls:

And here is my family.

Sam carried Mikayla up.
Apparently there is a TRAIL.
A real life non-rocky TRAIL.
Nice.
There is probably a tram too.
But I got exercise, no?
Here I am. And Sam.

To prove I did climb there.
Let's go back to that previous picture:

I just wanted to point out how high up we were. Those things I circled in the photo. Are PEOPLE.
Not tiny people. Full-sized people that are far, far away, in a land of shoes and socks.

So that was Bridal Veil Falls.
Then, in other news:
We have had a plethora of Soccer games.
And I couldn't be prouder of this guy:

Brendan was born with his mother's coordination.
I am so happy he has found something he enjoys, and that he is genuinely good at.

My camera was the point and shoot.
And who knew?
The batteries were low, and it made for some extra craptasic photos.
My apologies.
But I got some gems, unfocused and grainy as they are.
Like this one:

Incidentally, he was kicking the winning goal in this photo.
For reals.
I couldn't help but be reminded of Mosh Pit Girl when I saw it.
(*edited to add, NO I AM NOT MOSH-PIT GIRL. I stole this off the internet. If you do a search for Mosh Pit Girl, she is a favorite amongst Photoshop Geeks.)

Told you he has my coordination.
And then I caught this one too, same day even...

You can sing with me now "....Everybody was Kung-FU Fighting...HUH!"

And that was my weekend entertainment.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha I LOVE your photo posts! The captions are priceless.

Anonymous said...

Those falls are so pretty. Glad you got some exercise and you are crazy for doing that barefoot.

Wendy Lojik said...

Way to go Billy Goat Mama!

DKay said...

Great pictures! Living in GA - we don't have hills hardly much less something as beautiful as what you have. I suppose the bookbag has been altered by now. I have laughed about that so many times since you posted.
BTW, my ringtone on my cell phone is Kung Fu Fighting! How funny!

DKay said...

Oh yeah, I'll switch houses with you. Not much here in my little town except your good friend Urs. And the beaches are about 2 hours.....
Not a good time right now though :) Too much RAIN.

Anonymous said...

The Falls are gorgeous!
(see...if that were me, I would have known about the trail...of course I would have! I'm the anal detail oriented list maker).

Oh...and Mosh Pit Girl rocks! I bet Wendy has a few snaps of me like that from yesterday's wedding too! hahaha!!!!

smooches-Peg

Amy Sorensen said...

Last time we went, my kids hiked to the top in their bare feet, too. I stayed below with Kaleb and was FRANTIC because I couldn't see them, and they didn't have shoes, and what if they fell...plus, just wading across the pool at the bottom had me weeping in pain. (Well, weeping on the inside.) So I am TOTALLY impressed that you went all the way up. BAREFOOT. That's better than the gym!!! ;)

Mag Family said...

I am proud of you for hiking that, and with no shoes. I am impressed. All that working out with Ponica must be paying off.

laura vegas said...

i can't believe you did all that barefoot! love the pics to prove it! and love the soccer pics ... blurry and all!

btw ... tagged you on my blog!