Tuesday, May 06, 2008

The bookstore. (alternately titled another embarrassing moment.)


Once Sam and I went on a little weekend trip that took us through St. George, UT. I can't remember exactly why.

I do know that we hit the outlet stores that are there.

I especially loved the bookstore. I had several books picked out. It must have been April, because I had books picked out for my Mom and Mother-in-Law for Mother's Day.

Anyway...I had this stack of books, and was in the check-out line waiting to pay.

There were a couple of people in front of me. We were all lined up in front of the check-out counter. The cashier was behind the counter that was a little over waist-high, and wrapped around almost the whole front of the store. There were little shelves in the front of the counter, and they contained those cute little itty-bitty books.
"A mini-book of Haiku" "How to Make Shadow Puppets." "A Creepy-Crawly Field Guide."

I love those. I don't know why.

The person in front of me got finished, and left. The cashier was finishing up. I was up next.

At that moment...Sam let this HUGE fart.
It was so loud, I can't believe the reverberation didn't knock those little mini-books off the shelf.
And then...
HE DUCKED DOWN!! Below the counter, and out of view.

And left me.
Standing there.
Holding my books.

LIKE I WAS THE FARTER!

There was no where to go, and by this time Sam had scuttled off like the vermin that he is.
The cashier is staring at me, wide-eyed.

There was nothing I could say or do.
"Hey, man...that wasn't ME."
Um, yeah, I believe you...being that there is NO ONE ELSE AROUND.

And I really wanted those books...

I mentally bolstered myself, and reluctantly stepped up to the counter and paid.

Meanwhile, Sam went out to the car to wait. He was laughing his butt off.
His NOW EMPTY butt.

Do you see what I have to go through?

12 comments:

Mag Family said...

Oh my hell, that is hilarious. He likes to embarass you doesn't he. That's okay, ask him about the time Jaycie farted while he was here.

Anonymous said...

You've got a keeper for sure!

Janet O. said...

That is awesome. I will confess that I did that to my husband once at his sister's house...i TOTALLY made him take the rap. HA!

All8 said...

Vile Betrayer!!! (Hee hee hee)

Mickey Family said...

I am laughing!!! Sam is such a dude! :)

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! That is awful! Kinda funny; but awful! Wow...

Unknown said...

Shaunte, LOVE reading your blog because the most HYSTERICAL things happen to you!!! tooooo funny!

laura vegas said...

he looks a little quilty in that photo too! lol! love reading these hilarious stories. and you two really do look cute there!

Sara said...

What is it with men & farts?? They seriously need to CORK it!!

LOVE reading your stories! You guys look so cute together!

Kathryn said...

You so make my day!!! I laugh so hard reading all your blogs. Sam sure likes to make you take the brunt of all his potty humor.. Keep up the good work, you make my very drab days happy!!

DKay said...

You should get back at him with the old shoplifting scam. Next time you are at the store together, walk over to an employee and tell them you saw "that man" put merchandise in his shirt....and walk off. Of course, not too far, you want to see him get padded down!!!! LOL

Thanks for your hilarious posts - I know I need them to reassure myself of my sanity.

Anonymous said...

Shaunte . . my husband just did this to me in the Dublin airport!!! "It" was so stinkin' (haha) loud, we both just burst out laughing and we could not stop laughing. Everyone in the store stopped talking immediately and turned their heads toward us. At this age, it's hillarious and embarrassing all at once. So glad to know I'm not alone. Renae