Friday, May 16, 2008

Solid Gold




It was 1980.
I was in sixth grade.
This was also the year I won the town Roller Derby.
I took first place, and got a bronze medal.
I aspired to be a back-up dancer for Solid Gold.
I think I had the right look.
Ruffled shirt. (Check!)
Feathered hair. (Check!)
Beaded gold elastic headband. (Check, check, check!!!)

And lovin' the thoughtful vignetted second "me" pondering her limitless future, which sadly, due to extreme incoordination and no redeeming dance moves whatsoever, did not net her that sexy back-up dancer gig.

5 comments:

KellyG said...

Wow....

I cannot believe we survived that ERA.

Thanks for the reminder :)

laura vegas said...

omg shaunte!!! you have seriously been making me laugh lately with all these flashbacks! i think i have that same picture ... same ruffled shirt ... same feathered hair ... and i swear i had one of those elastic headbands too! i really should write this stuff down. because i don't seem to remember any of this stuff on my own ... but as soon as you write about it ... it all comes back to me so quickly! lol!

Jenn said...

You know I am your biggest blog reading fan!! Thanks for the laughs again!!

Annette said...

I forgot all about that show! My friend was going to be the dancer and I was going to sing on the show. LOL! Forgot about the headbands, too. Mine was Turquoise and gold braided- can still see it now with the pink and blue legwarmers! LOL

Thanks for the fun memories.
I check your blog regularly for a chuckle. Love it!

Heather said...

Hi Shaunte- I've just discovered your blog & have been sitting here reading for at least an hour. Not really the start to my Saturday I was imagining. Anyways, I love all of your stories. I thought that kinda stuff only happened to me :)