Friday, May 02, 2008

My first cruise. (Alternately titled why I feel inclined to occasionally make fun of Sam on my blog.)

Sam won this cruise back in 1996.

I know it was 1996, cause I was eight months pregnant with Jayden, our first-born.
I was big.
I worked back then for a Title Company. We did closings on mortgages and properties. We entertained a lot of clients, therefore, we went on client lunches almost everyday. We went to Olive Garden, and Chili's and The Outback.

I gained fifty pounds.
Jayden weighed in at a whopping 8 1/2 pounds, and not the 38 1/2 pounds that I was hoping he would weigh...so well, you do the math.
I was big.

Plus, I got what they call Toxemia. Which is nothing more that extreme bloating. That was pretty.

Anyway, Sam won this cruise.
We were excited about it!

So we flew in and boarded the boat.
It was huge!
We were feeling pretty ritzy.

Apparently Sam was feeling really ritzy.
I am not sure what those shorts were.
I don't remember them, but I am sure Bill Cosby wants them back.
Lets go in for a closer look, shall we?

And before you comment on my maternity, um, jumper? Take a good look. It is crucial to the story that will unfold.

Ah, the maternity jumper.

When you are as large as a barge, there is not much in the tent and awning department to fit you at eight months. And bear in mind, this was the 90's.
Floral was hot, baby. I wore that jumper a lot.

So much in fact, that all I had to do was stand it in the corner at night, and then in the morning, I would whistle and say "Here, girl!" and it would walk on over to me.
"Good jumper."

I wore it to embark on the cruise ship, obviously.

And we got on the boat, and we watched as the boat pulled away from the dock, and cheered with everyone else. Giddy to be on vay-cay....

Then we went back to the room, and unpacked.
The room was the size of a broom closet. Very hard to maneuver when you are as round as you are tall. The bathroom was very small and had one of those swooshy sucky toilets like they have on airplanes. With the blue water.

Anyway, back to unpacking.
Well guess what was in my bag?

Maternity shirt A.
Maternity shirt B.
Maternity shirt C.
Socks.
Undies.

NO PANTS.
None.

I looked again, I shook the bag. I said a little prayer for my maternity pants to magically appear...ohpleaseohpleaseohplease...

I was stuck, in the middle of the ocean.
With only my jumper.

I was the only pregnant lady on board, but I still checked the gift shop. Maybe, oh maybe they had some XXL black drawstring pants? Maybe?
No, they did not.

Needless to say, what little self-esteem I had jumped overboard and drown in the churning wake of the cruise ship.

Every morning I begrudgingly put on the jumper.
There is NO possible way a very pregnant lady can be inconspicuous in a floral jumper. And I felt so guilty eating at the buffets. The preggo jumper lady? Again?

Our first port was in Mexico.
Here is the jumper.
Oh, and me.

I am buying some accessories to go with the jumper. You know, there is nothing like some good accessories to change your look up. (eyeroll)

When we got back on the boat, we made a beeline for our room.
Sam had to use the *ahem* facilities.
And use them he did.
He clogged up the whole toilet.
He clogged it good.
He clogged it somehow so the flap thingie that flushes was clogged wide open.
It was whoooshing and whoooshing...
I am not sure what he was thinking, but he grabbed a coat hanger and tried to um, plunge things down with that.
So now, picture this, clogged toilet, and um, coat hanger.
I told him he needed to call housekeeping.
They assign workers to each room, and our little workers could come fix it.
He said he was too embarrassed to do that.
It was time for dinner, and my jumper was hungry.
I told him to call, and we could leave, and have them fix it by the time we get back.

Here is how it went down:

(Him) "I am NOT calling, you call."
(me) "I didn't clog it, you call."
(him) "Oh, fine." <---all huffy and stuff
(him) "Hello? Yeah, this is room XXX and I just needed to call and see if someone could fix our toilet. My wife is pregnant, and she clogged it up real good."

Yep.
He really did.

So the rest of the cruise, I just know those guys talked about me.
And the coat hanger.

So this is why, my blog reading friends, every so often, I tell you stories about my dear husband that are not 100 percent complimentary to him.

I owe him a lot of payback.

14 comments:

Sara said...

Ahhh the 90's floral print....You looked GREAT 8 months preggers! I wouldn't feel bad about embarressing Sam--he deserves it!! What is it with men & the toliets?!?

Don't feel bad about forgetting the pants. I did that to my hubby when I was preggers....sadly I never live it down!!

Mickey Family said...

omigosh. hilarious. Well, you have a lot of confidence going out anyway day after day. Couldn't you have found one of those ginormous sarongs things at one of the ports? Or were they not stylish enough for you! Hahahha! You know I love you!

Mimi said...

Bwahhahahaahahhaa! Oh my goodness, as I had a baby in 96 I can *so* relate.

And, you looked great, by the way.

Jen Gallacher said...

Oh you are a better wife than I. Oh, and I cannot figure out why that jumper hasn't made a comeback. TOO HILARIOUS!!

Mag Family said...

Oh my gosh! You look smokin' hot in that jumper. At least it was comfy hmmm.

Kristin said...

awwwwe - the heart appliquéd across your sternum matches the floral print of the jumper.

Robert W. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mirm said...

I bet you wanted to burn that thing by the time you got home.... Crack up!!! I heard somewhere that laughing on a daily basis helps you lose weight. You should start charging people to read your blogs, or change it to Laugh a lot weight loss center.

Mike, Torie and Boys said...

Is Sam wearing a fanny-pack? Oh I love it. That story made me laugh so hard. I love your blog.

DKay said...

WOW - you handled yourself well. I think I would have beat my hubby to a pulp with that hanger! LOL

Ypsi said...

I'm having flashbacks to my late 90's pregnancy!!! AAgh.

You are a genuinely humane soul for not killing your husband for blaming you for the toilet clog. I am inspired. ;)

Jenn said...

Seriously, I can't stop laughing!! Please write a book!!

All8 said...

You got me laughing, again!!!!

David said...

Oh, that is sooooo funny! I hate maternity clothes and they have apparently improved a lot since then. There is this one pair of pants I wore everyday with Maxton. I still have the urge to burn them every now and again.