Friday, May 05, 2006

Feliz Cinco de Mayo!

Anyone who knows me knows that I have a serious obsession with moving to Mexico.

Sam and I spent a week in Mexico, gosh I think it has been...eeek..FIVE YEARS???!

Wow. I haven't even scrapped it yet.

While we were in Mexico, we hopped around, hitting smaller non-touristy towns. Sam speaks fluent Spanish and knows enough slang that he fits right in with the locals and we get great tips on places to hit. We found the most delicious spot, clean white sand beaches, palm trees, nice hotel, great taco bar, cheap...anyway, I dream of going back. And NO, I am not telling you where it is....if I spilled that to all the coughcoughfortycough people who read this blog, it will turn into another over-populated Acapulco.

I learned a life lesson while there. If you have been to Mexico, you know that they charge a nominal fee for everything. I mean everything! To use the bathroom. To receive toilet paper for use in the bathroom. For directions. For using beach chairs on the beaches. One day, I had enough. I was tired of paying for stupid things! I had a little bit of a breakdown.

We stopped out of desperation to use a bathroom that was so way worse than any gas station or Walmart in the states. Oh, so much worse. At the door, after you paid your pesos, they handed you a bucket. I was like...???! And then I waited in line to use the single toilet, in a dirty adobe cubicle with a sagging wooden door. The decor was hovering flies. And needless to say, there was an odor. Think port-a-potty.

I paid for my three squares of 20 grit toilet paper and watched. Well, apparently after you did your thing, you had to add a bucket of water from the sink to flush the toilet. Manual water pressure.

That is about the time I lost it. I thought I can't believe I am being subjected to this, and I CAN'T BELIEVE I AM PAYING FOR IT!!!!!!!

Sam had to remind me that we were guests in the country, and to please keep it down. I went on for a fair amount of time (proudly mixing Spanish and English) I might add, and then I was done. I got it all out of my system, and enjoyed the rest of the trip.

We have all had our "mexico moments" haven't we? A little tirade, a little rant...and people just need to leave you alone, cause in a few minutes you will be over it. It's healthy.

So...Happy Cinco de Mayo! May you not have to pay for toilet paper this whole day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness you had me laughing so hard I almost started crying LOL. I have been to Mexico twice, once to Cancun and once to Manzinillo and both times I guess I was very lucky as we did have running water for the toilets and toilet paper. But I took a jungle boat ride and thought I might not make it back. Also cried as I watched a young mother sweep her dirt floors on her house with two sides and a not so great roof. I always try to remember that when I start whining about my house not being big enough for all of us.
Any ways thanks for the reminder of Mexico!

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.
»