Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mother's Day.


I have never really liked Mother's Day.

When I was younger I thought it was totally stupid. Another reason for my Mom to be snippy and bug me to "please clean your room, that is all I really want for Mother's Day." Oh brother...

And why don't they have a "Kid's Day" I used to always ask...and my Mom would always answer with a long sigh...."EVERY day is Kid's Day." Oh brother...[insert eye-roll]

Now that I am a mother myself, the holiday hasn't gotten much better. For one, it is always on Sunday, which means I still have to get up, get all the kids ready, go to church, come home, cook lunch, clean up lunch, visit my Mom, and my mother-in-law [bearing gifts and handmade cards that I picked out and prepared in advance with no help from my husband--thank you very much] come home, cook dinner, clean dinner up, search for lost homework books and backpacks, get kids ready for bed, clean house--and somewhere in there find some spare time to do *ahem* "things" with Sam, cause after all...it is a holiday, and every holiday should be "celebrated." Oh brother...

This year, I went into the day with absolutely no expectations, and it has seemed to help things. I am not expecting anything, so if my husband is extra nice, or my kids don't fight as much, it will be an added bonus. And it helped that when the alarm went off this morning, I turned it off, turned over, and sluffed church.

I am taking the whole day off. It is my gift to myself.

Its funny, how as you get older you truly learn to appreciate your Mom. Even the men eventually get it. Sam is always saying what a good lady his Mom is. She deserves that compliment. We all do. We work like dogs, with one official day of appreciation.

So whenever I see big 300 pound football player on TV look into the panning camera and say "Hi Mom!" I think to myself "damn straight!" That lady deserves to be recognized!

Happy Mother's Day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day dear!! *hugs*

Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

Anonymous said...

What a great site, how do you build such a cool site, its excellent.
»