Sunday, June 15, 2008

Checking back in.

*Thursday: started the day out, with the "family" they assigned me. I had eight teenage kids that I had to watch out for. The whole youth conference attendance was about 150 kids, and leaders.

Bright and early, we did service projects around the community. Our family weeded and mowed a yard. I am telling you, this thing was a mess. I had the song "Welcome to the Jungle" running through my head the whole day. That was annoying. Should have brought my iPod.

My back was sore.

Then we headed to the church to load up and head out to Delta, Utah. A barren waste-land of nothingness.

We got there, and set up, ate, played games, listened to some speakers, and we all fell into bed exhausted from all the work.

I called home to check in on things back at the ranch....Jayden had broken his arm.
Not lying.
Sam asked me what to do.
And who our doctor was.
I didn't realize how much I have been handicapping him by not filling him in on the mundane details of a SAHM.

*Friday: Lots of games, speakers, food, and clean fun.
Call home to check in...Mikayla has strep throat, and Shianne is bawling about a "hurty" throat as well.

*Saturday: A huge water-fight, more speakers, food and fun.
I DO NOT call home.

We finished up mid-day and came home.
I have to hand it to Sam.
He seemed un-frazzled.
The house was clean.
There was just the one broken bone.
Not bad.

Took the kids out to get him some Father's Day presents. They picked out some pretty choice dollar store stuff.
Sam got this from me for Fathers Day.
Cause he needs more motivation to sit on the couch. Heh.

I think I picked a pretty good Dad for the kids.

He might not know who the family doctor is, but he can braid a mean head of hair.

He can tickle/wrestle to put the WWF to shame.

His floor scrubbing skills can take dried up Kraft Singles paste out of tile grout.

He can re-vive a dead lawn mower with six bucks worth of various screws and miscellaneous parts. And he lets the boys "help" him do it.

He actually likes to watch the Justice League.

Having all 46 neighborhood kids over for a game of catch doesn't bug him.

He makes sure we are all taken care of. When he comes home from working the graveyard shift, he tip-toes around the house, tucking everyone in.

He listens to the kids' prayers every night, when I am too tired and ready to just send them to bed alone.

He volunteered himself to go to Boy Scout Day camp with Brendan.

He makes it a point to tell our daughter how beautiful she is. Her eyes just light up and shine. I hope she finds a husband who makes her feel so pretty.

He's a keeper.

Happy Father's Day, Sam.

3 comments:

Mag Family said...

Sounds like a keeper that Sam. I am sorry to hear about Jayden's arm, and I guess that explains Mckayla's fever huh! I am anxious to hear about your other "family".

laura vegas said...

sounds like you have good guy there shaunte! i know i complain about my husband a lot ... his ability to sit on the couch and watch golf for 6 hours straight KILLS me! lol! but compared to a lot of guys i know around here ... he does a ton to help out and doesn't complain.

Heather said...

Shaunte- it sounds like you do have one heck of a guy!