Saturday, April 15, 2006

The $2000.00 coat.


Any Jeep enthusiast would know, that this past weekend was Easter Safari in Moab, Utah. The hills are alive crawling with jacked up off-road vehicles and testosterone. I went once- it was all I needed.

So Sam takes the kids (hee hee)--and looks forward to a weekend in the red rocks. I look forward to a weekend without kids, and a little shopping. It's a win-win.

I just don't get the whole Jeep thing. I don't understand how gunning a vehicle up the face of a cliff, and *almost* rolling off the side falls under the definition of fun. I will never know why when a vehicle falls off said cliff, all the spectators cheer, snap photos, all the while muttering under their breath what "that idiot driver" did to fail his mission.

To me, that is a needless and expensive accident. Not even an accident, cause it was deliberate!

That is like me, shopping and finding myself a new dress, and then putting it on, running out in the parking lot and rolling around on the blacktop just to "see what she can do."

Whatever. Sam likes it. He looks forward to it. That is a good thing, to have something to look forward to-- no matter how stupid it is. He always invites me, but I hate to hold him back from doing something he enjoys. Plus, I've already been once. He took me on a trail that was rated a 2, and I felt my spirit leave my body several times.

So, off they go. He called me when they got there. "Do you want the good news, or the bad news?" (This is never a good question) (And come to think of it, there was no good news)
"I checked the Jeep twice before we left, and somehow it slipped into first gear and was not in neutral the whole way up here. I dropped the driveline somewhere in Spanish Fork canyon.....blah, blah...transfer case...blah, gas line....."

All I hear, really, during the course of this conversation is...$$$$$$. And $$.

I really do feel bad for him. So he takes it into a garage down there. Now, Moab is a small town, I bet this one weekend subsidizes the whole economy down there. I bet Sam subsidized the whole economy down there. But Sam is convinced that "these guys are good dudes." He gets it fixed, and they are on the trails the next morning, when my Dad promptly blows his Jeep too. Back to the shop, the same shop for his Jeep. Except due to recent events they have expanded and given everyone raises...

Fast forward to the next afternoon. Both men are feeling pretty lucky(?), and enter a raffle. They are giving away great prizes! Drive lines (I bet they just gather them all off the freeways to Moab) Winch kits, Bumpers, and then a butt-ugly patchwork stitched leather coat. Guess what Sam is the proud owner of? Yep. The Frankenstein coat. Even our 6 year old thought it was hideous and laughed the whole time Sam was walking up to accept his costly souvenir.

So there you go. You are looking at a $2000.00 coat. It is going to be on eBay soon. It comes with a free Jeep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great coat for $2000. LOL!

Wonderful chatting with you Shaunte, we had a blast and you did so well. Thanks again!