Thursday, April 20, 2006

Spring Break please be over soon....


All the kids home, all day.

This is a glimpse of summer. I better stock up on the Mountain Dew. Nay, I better start figuring out how to mainline the syrup directly into my veins.

I took Shianne with me to run some errands. Left the other kids home with the secondary care provider (Dad) us girls needed some one-on-one time.

We stopped into Kohls. Last time I was there I discovered that they had a cosmetic counter, with rows of open samples. Eyeshadow and blush, lipsticks and foundation; all laid out with cotton swabs and cotton balls. I thought they did away with those in the 80's when everyone in Junior High got pink-eye from using the same tube of sample mascara. But there it was, in all it's glory--a six-year old's dream!

So we did us some white-trash quality time, where I gave her a bona fide make-over right there at the make-up counter at Kohls.

She chose the colors. I thought she looked a little like a (much older than six) street walker. She thought she looked beautiful. We ran right home and took pictures. Her smile for that shoot just about melted my heart! It has been way too long since I have seen her smile with full *look-at-me-world!* confidence. We need to work on that. On giving her individual attention, and telling her more often how beautiful she really is. Another failure in progress as a mother....

On a side note, my nine year old was given a plastic flute of some sort to practice with during the Spring Break. Daily. I wish I were deaf. And his teacher will be getting something really, really special for Teacher Appreciation Day.

6 comments:

Jennifer Stewart said...

Shaunte,

You crack me UP, girlfriend. I miss you! :) And ROFL @ white-trash time together. Ahh, my son would appreciate that. Noah likes to run around the house in wife-beaters. :)

LOVe the makeup!
Jen :)

Melissa said...

her smile is beautiful, love the picture and the story behind it :) you should definitely scrap it

SageHen said...

I thought she had make-up on. Cute little girl, it is the smile that makes her so pretty.

Anonymous said...

white trash quality time! LOL! you are crackin' me up today

Anonymous said...

darnit. blogger will not cooperate with me today. the anon post is me. sigh.

johanna
http://justjohanna.blogspot.com

Cat said...

I remember those plastic flutes... pick up some ear plugs, because your son probably loves to play that flute! My 5 year old would go crazy at the makeup counter, too!!