Thursday, April 13, 2006

Loser Mom.

I am soooo not a yard person, I wish my friend Erika http://erikafollansbee.typepad.com/ lived closer and I could sucker her into taking care of my flower beds.

When I was in the hospital three years ago in April, after my c-section with Mikayla, my sweet sister-in-law Molly brought me flowers. They were gorgeous pink and purple Hyacinths planted in a bright pot. So Springy, and they smelled absolutely DIVINE! All the nurses would comment that they could smell the flowers out into the hallway. When I got home, after the blossoms died down, I planted them in my yard, and in spite of my brown thumb, they actually made it!




Each Spring since, they bloom, and remind me of Mikayla's birth, and Molly's thoughtfulness.

Yesterday, Mikayla went outside to play with her sidewalk chalk. She hadn't been out long, when she came back in to bring me a bouquet of flowers. Yep. She pulled up the Hyacinths. I was so angry! I scolded her to "not pick Mommy's flowers..." She told me she was sorry, and scampered back into the sunshine.

I put the stolen flowers in a chipped teacup, and set it on the table.

All day long my house smelled so stinkin' good! Even Sam, who doesn't seem to notice the stench of his own feet, commented on how pretty the Hyacinths smelled. The whole downstairs smells wonderful, thanks to the little cup of blooms.

Now I think of the irony. Of my little two year old little girl picking my prized flowers because she thought I would enjoy them. And I do---much, much more inside my house, than outside in the yard. And I yelled at her! I yelled at her for picking the very flowers that remind me of the beautiful day that she was born.

Today I am a loser mom.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are NOT a loser mom! LOL

Anonymous said...

The flowers are beautiful. As far as being a loser mom, we've all been there, even thought I don't think this counts. I figure as long as there are more days that I am a great mom than a loser, my kids will be okay. I think I'm winning, but hey you never know!

Anonymous said...

Love the flowers...they are gorgeous! Love the story...you will both be able to laugh at this someday! Just give her luvs....kids are so completely forgiving!!

Anonymous said...

You're not a loser mom....you're a human mom. Give her some hugs and squeezes and all will be fine.

Lara said...

Been there - those flowers are beautiful - wish we could have gardens inside!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet story!! That's a great memory to associate with the scent of these flowers. Your daughter was wise to bring them indoors for you. :) PS--they'll be fine for next year too! :)