Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The Shelf Theory

My husband and I go out almost every Wednesday night. Date night. My Mother-in-law, (who ROCKS by the way) offered to tend for us on Wednesdays. She says it gives her a chance to see the kids, I secretly think it is because she knows I kinda got the shaft marrying her son....HA!

We usually just go to a movie, so there is rarely a movie out that we haven't seen.

Me? I love a good video. I would rather sit at home in PJ's wrapped in a quilt, and be able to pause the show if I need to. But the nice thing about being me, is that by the time a movie comes out on video, I have forgotten most of the plot. It's true.

I have a theory, that has helped my loved ones to understand what is going on up there in my brain. It is the theory of "the shelf."

My brain is like a shelf. All my memories are sitting on the shelf. The important stuff is heavy and big, and mostly stays there. Things like the birth of my children...

The small things are haphazardly shoved on the shelf, and the shelf is quite full. Too full, in fact. And now, whenever a small item makes it's way onto the shelf, sadly, another small item must fall off the shelf in order to make room for the new thing.

So when we are standing in front of the RedBox DVD rental unit, and I ask my husband "Have we seen this? Did we like it?" He knows that it has already fallen off the shelf. He can enjoy it again, and I can enjoy it (again)--for the first time.

It's good to be me that way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ohmigod, SO ME, and I haven't even had kids yet!!! Geez. My husband makes fun of me because I can't rememeber a darn thing. Glad to know I'm not the only one! :)