Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Oh Shoe-t.

Yesterday I had a lot of errands to run.
I try to pack all my errand-y things into one day, because I am a winter hermit, and the sun and fresh air hurt my lungs and eyes.

So yesterday was errand day.

I got almost everything done, all but the grocery store.
I figure another day of Ramens and a Flintstone vitamin are not going to kill the children.

Speaking of the children:
And killing them...

I was on my way home, and Shianne (mom #2) called me on my cellphone to check in.
"We are all home now. Everyone is fine."
"Great! I am on my way home, I will be there in about ten minutes."
"Oh, mom, you should probably know," she said, "Mikayla lost her shoe walking home."

What?

Last I checked, the school is literally ten minutes from our front porch. The roads have melted off, leaving her a straight, dry shot home.
How is losing a shoe possible?

Shianne continues: "We were kinda piddly-dinking on the way home, and we were playing in the big snow piles."

(Big snow piles= rock hard ledges of snow that the snowplow has piled up on the sides of the road.)

At some point, from what I gathered, Mikayla's foot broke though the crust of a snow drift and her shoe came off. I am not sure how their Kindergarten and Fourth Grade educations failed them at that point. And why it was so hard to STOP right there, reach a hand down into the HOLE IN THE SNOW and retrieve the shoe, but apparently that wasn't possible at that juncture.

She skipped (unevenly) home in a shoe and a sock.
This is Utah WINTER, people.

I made them march right back to the snow piles and dig around in them.

Mikayla has two good pairs of shoes right now.

Her patent leather Mary-Jane's she wears to church.
And these shoes.
Well, now shoe.
Not plural.
Not cool.

The shoe was never recovered.
I have always wondered how sometimes, I will be at Costco, or the mall, and there will be a worn and random shoe sitting in a cart, or displayed high on a post as to alert the owner, and I have always thought "what kind of idiot loses their shoe?"

Now I know.

And I also understand why some creatures in the animal kingdom eat their young directly after birth.

16 comments:

Candi said...

i love you...you make me laugh and definitely make me feel better about my offspring, who probably would taste good with BBQ sauce!

Paige and Jason said...

LOL I literally look forward to reading your blog because it is a sure thing that I will come away laughing. Thanks once again!

Penny said...

My nephew did that exact thing with a MOONBOOT! We were up in Pine Valley sledding and he jumped into a snowbank and lost both of them and we only found one. I'm sure sometime in May when the snow melts we'l find the other one.

jody said...

I can always count on your blog posts for a good laugh!Thanks!

Jenn said...

I will keep my eyes open for a stray shoe, hey wait a minute I think it was in my wards lost and found. Another random place that has plenty of one stray shoes. Funny, funny!

Kim said...

Your kids' cousins live at my house. (Literally.) My favorite is when they lose something stupid like a shoe and I send them to find it, it could hit them on the head and they'd miss it. Finding things seems to be a skill they have not inherited or yet acquired...

Deneen said...

You couldn't make this stuff up and I love it because it lets me know I am not alone in this world LOL

laura vegas said...

this was a funny story. until that last paragraph about the random shoe seen here and there ... then it became a hilarious story! lol! i would love to hang out with your kids one day!

Lora3677 said...

ROFL!!!! OH MY! Thank you... I needed a funny today. HA!

Stacy said...

Sorry about the shoe but thanks for the laugh!

Anonymous said...

That. Is. Funny!
I have thought that same stuff about 'what kind of idiot loses a shoe'...
Priceless story. TFS.

Heather said...

Why didn't we just stay single back in the day and not marry those roommates and bear them these stinky children? I totally relate with the "didn't use the brain God gave me" aspect of our sweet dear little ones!

Heather said...

Why didn't we just stay single back in the day and not marry those roommates and bear them these stinky children? I totally relate with the "didn't use the brain God gave me" aspect of our sweet dear little ones!

Anonymous said...

Ha! That is funny.

Mimi said...

Bwhahahahahahahahha! Why do they do that?

Janet O. said...

My son did that on the last day before winter break, and we never did find his (nice) tennis shoe. I was HOT.