Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Dance Festival

Since this blog is essentially my personal journal, occasionally y'all get some posts like this one, that aren't exactly entertaining unless they are your kids.

Kinda the same concept as no one likes to see your vacation pictures.

You can skip over this one if you want to.

This is the elementary school dance festival.
Usually we miss it.
We spend Memorial Day weekend at a cabin in Idaho. The dance festival usually falls in the same week.

The kids have always acted a little relieved to be missing the festival. We are not a very dance oriented family. We have no redeeming moves to speak of. And very little coordination. Makes us hard dance pupils. Anyway...

This year we opted out of the cabin, and are planning another destination next week.
So the kids participated in the dance festival.

Now, back in the day, the dance festival was about as long and painful as an insurance seminar.
Things have changed!
It lasted a mere sixty minutes this year, tops!
I was pleasantly surprised.
The theme of this years' festival was "Super Heroes!"
Each grade was some type of hero.
Some were harder to make out than others...
Also, things moved so quickly, that when the fourth graders came out to perform,

I was in a panic trying to find the twins so I could get a picture.
That first picture? Doesn't even have any of my kids in it. But it is the fourth grade...their Super Hero was some lightning dude.
I only got one of Shayne:

And I finally spotted Shianne, and got a couple quick ones of her.
Did I mention we have four kids in elementary this year?
It's a lot of sack lunches.

Fourth grade is hard.
They try way too hard to be cool.

Shianne was clearly embarrassed to be seen with...what is that? Toilet paper around her head? Super Hero toilet paper.

Ah, now she is getting into it:

She was clear across the playground.
They say a mother's love is equal to the size of her camera lens.
This is mine:

And that is not even zoomed out.
I have alot of love.
It allows me to sit on my duff, and get pictures from anywhere.
It also allows me to get pictures that my fifth grader doesn't know I am taking...

He complained all week long.
"The dance festival is stoooopid. Check me out of school! I don't want to even do it."
Looks like he hated it, eh?:

It was super hard for him to act like Spider, um, guy. Homemade black yarn webbed shirt and all...

Then for our Kindergartner...now, seriously, can Kindergartners be any cuter?
Here they are lining up.

I am certain someone told them to be an arm's length apart.
They took this very seriously.

Good little soldiers.
Super Heroes are strong!

And they can flyyyyyyyyyy!

And they are also out of school in three short days.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the May Pole at Lehi Elementary. I remember singing the Lehi "Lights" song as a kindergartner. I drove by yesterday and saw they have changed their mascot to the Lehi Lions. Why?

Lora3677 said...

HAHA!! The kids look adorable... and Shianne... HOLY COW! I don't think I have seen a photo that makes her look so much like her Mama!! WOWSERS!!!

Heather said...

Awww. the dance festival - does that happen to be at Meadow?

Penny said...

I loved doing that at Lehi Elementary. I have a picture of me and Lezlee holding hands with Travis Conkle and Travis ? while dancing the Hava Nageela in 6th grade! Ahh Good Times.

Elder Cooper Smith said...

I can say that I don't miss those days.