Tuesday, May 12, 2009

My Mother's Day

Here we are, the traditional Mother's Day photo AKA the only photo I am in during a calendar year.
I need a cut and color...
And it is a heads only shot, as true to Wadley style, 33 seconds after we walk in the door from church everyone has stripped and changed into pajama pants.

I actually had a really good day this year.
Sam and I will celebrate our 15th anniversary this year.
After 15 years, he nailed it!
I got my nap.
And at some point during the week before Mothers Day, he took the kids to the dollar store to pick out gifts for me.
I don't need gifts.
But I want my kids to learn how to be thoughtful.
They definitely had me in mind when they picked out the presents.
Brendan picked out the BBQ skewers.
"They are for meat." he said
"Meat for the grill. And I guess fruit and stuff."
"Make sure you only use them for MEAT..."
"For the grill."

This said like a tentative parent gifting a child their first pocketknife.

He could see in my eyes that I had already conjured up a million uses for long-metal pronged handled stick.
"GO CLEAN THE PLAYROOM!!" (jab! jab!)
(brandishing stick wildly)
"GO GET ME SOME COOKIES!" (jab! jab!)
Brendan and I think alike.

Mikayla got me my favorite teeth-rotting candy.
Sugar Babies.
And Chocolate Covered Sugar Babies.
Who knew those existed?
Maybe only at Dollar Tree?
And since she has given them to me, she has asked me seventeen times "when are you going to open those candies."
They taunt her.

I got the usual menagerie of handmade cards and pictures.
The cards containing coupons with non-committal promises:
"this coupon entitles you to ___me tickling your back for one minute_____.
"I will ____brush my teeth____for you for one week."
"I will_____not complain about dinner______for you."
I never tire of those...

And Sam got all the kids to bed, and gave me a no strings attached (if you catch my drift) massage while I watched the Food Network.

How kick-butt was that?
I am a lucky momma.

5 comments:

Heather said...

Wow - things are truly looking up at the Wadley house!

7packofbearss said...

Sounds almost perfect. Especially the massage. I don't think Jared could handle it yet. Maybe in 3 more years. Call me and we will trade pictures for hair stuff.

Kasey said...

Sounds like a nice day. Sounds like something my kids would do. I know what you mean about the no strings attached massage. I would take that anyday over a day of shopping or anything.

laura vegas said...

glad you had a good mother's day this year shaunte! and i think that the gifts are thoughful too. my girls get everyone gifts from the dollar store at christmas ... and they always find things that fit each person. and a gorgeous photo of you and the kids too!

Lora3677 said...

HA! I love the skewer story.. jab jab.. HA!