Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Things I have Driven (Part two)

About a year after I graduated (GO PIONEERS! Class of 1990 RULES!) I got fed up with working at the Mom and Pop Hamburger Stand that I had worked at since I was 16. I decided to try and find another job, preferably one that contained less grease.

I put in several applications around town, one of which was at the local bank. I didn't think much about it, until about two weeks later, when I received a phone call from the branch manager for an interview. I brought my nice clothes to the grease pit, and changed when my shift was over to go to the interview. I smelled vaguely of onion rings.

Gwen started this new thing. Back firing. It was a FABULOUS confidence booster, and much like acid reflux, it was unpredictable and uncomfortable. And embarrassing. So when I arrived at the bank, I parked about a block away.

I interviewed and got the job. The manager asked me if I had my own transportation. I said yes, and he looked at me funny. I just shrugged.

Every day I came to work and parked a block away. For two weeks.

Then...well, then I got my first paycheck. I couldn't believe all the money I had. EUREKA! I was filthy rich. I decided it was high time Gwen and I broke up, and I replaced her with a vehicle much more worthy of my newly-found high roller life. And my fancy bank clothes. And besides, I was sick of walking a whole block to work every day.

So I thought about my options for about 15 minutes. To please my Dad, I even went through the premise of test-driving practical vehicles, in which I had no interest. No siree, I had my heart set on a Geo Storm. Small and sporty and new. Bright Red. Gray interior. Stick shift. (Yeah, I mastered that one, even on a hill.)

We pulled into the car dealership, and I saw IT. I just knew. And I am sure the salesman knew. I didn't care. I just wanted it. So I signed the papers, and drove it home. Grinning ear to ear. That new car smell replacing the french fry grease that had long been permeating my clothes.

The radio worked. It had a CD player! And an airbag! The keys stayed in the ignition! It didn't back fire, or shake like it had palsy at freeway speeds. Yep, it had all the bells and whistles...and all of a sudden I went from "cute girl" to "hot chick in a sports car!"

My payment was $239.00. My insurance was like 50 bucks a month. I still has money to spare. Until...

...I got my first speeding ticket.

I was flying to the movie theaters on the freeway. I was doing 90mph in a 55. That put me on probation. I had to go to traffic school. In traffic school I learned that little red sports cars were cop magnets. And it was.

Also found out that the back seat wasn't all that comfortable. It was cramped, and was pretty much a total bummer for a post-date make-out sessions.

The final straw was when winter hit Utah. The snow fell, the roads got slick, and the Storm was useless in the snow. It was like a $10,200.00 toboggan. A couple of times I missed my freeway exit to work because the car slid right past the exit. Winters were awful. But still, it was such a darling car...

Time passed.

I met Sam, married Sam, got another job, got pregnant with Jayden. Decided the back seat wasn't going to work for a car seat and sadly, sold the Storm.

Bought a Honda Accord. Just like my Dad tried to get me to buy five years previously, when I insisted on having my frivolous youthful fling with the Storm.

4 comments:

All8 said...

Too funny girl! And yeah, of course, The Class of 1990, ROCKS!!!

Candi said...

lovin' those shoulder pads and white socks! and i love your dream car! you almost made me pee my pants...again!

Laura Mendoza said...

oooh, love the photo, the shoulder pads and baggy on top pants bring back some good memories!!!

Amy Sorensen said...

Yeah, but at least you had a fun & sporty car for awhile, drawbacks aside. How fun! I didn't realize we graduated the same year. Go Red Devils!