Sunday, April 20, 2008

Geode Beds

The geode beds are clear out in the sticks.
Pretty far out there.
No cell phone reception or anything.
Just a bunch of tumbleweeds and lots of dust.

Not a great place for a vacation home.
But a FABULOUS place for pretty rocks.

It doesn't look like much.
But all over the ground are these petrified turd looking rocks.
I believe that is the technical term. Petrified Turd.
See...I will show you:

But then, you crack that turd open, and look...

They were filled with glittering crystals, and some of them had water inside.

We figured out that the lighter the rocks felt, the more hollow they were inside.
And easier for the kids to crack with their dollar store hammers.
Shayne was channelling his inner Willy Wonka. Could we make him look like a bigger nerd?

Jayden thought he would have better luck excavating in the side of the mountain for fresh! rocks! He is the brown spot on the cliff. He eventually wizened up and just collected ground turds like the rest of us peasants. Now that I think about it, I am pretty glad he didn't fall off that mountain. It was a long way back into a town if we needed band-aids.

Then we took a break and had a picnic.

Then we headed for home.
Did I mention it was out in the sticks?
Well, it was.
Dirt roads. Very dusty.
And at one point there were some grazing sheep. Sam called them "range maggots" and for some reason that made me laugh. Click on the picture to see how many of them there were. They really did look like maggots. In a way.
This is the height of excitement right here.
Sheep.

Makes you want to book your next vacation to Utah, doesn't it?

Then eventually those sheep had to cross the road.
Our road.
And we waited for the whole herd.
The sheep dogs made us wait.
They were very menacing.

We made it home.
We brought some extra rocks that aren't cracked yet.
We are hoping to cut them with a tile saw. Might be cool.

In other news.
Tomorrow is Mikayla's fifth birthday.
I sent the kids in to make lunches for tomorrow, and Mikayla made herself one too.
She totally thinks she will be going to school with them tomorrow, since she finally hit that magic Kindergarten age.

It won't be long, but to her it seems like forever.

When she gets a few years older and "just HATES school" I will have to remind her about this day, when she was aching to go to school.

A part of me wishes she were turning four, and I would have another year to get used to the idea of her leaving me home alone.

I am going to have a hard time letting her go next fall.

Happy Birthday Pickle!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

<---spam comments?
Niiiiice.

Anonymous said...

Range maggots and ground turds. :) That is exactly why I visit your blog. You always make me laugh.

jennifer said...

That sign in your first pic made me smile. My mother was stationed at Dugway Proving Grounds for 3 years. I think that was where I got bit by the scrapbook bug! Anyway, I really want to visit there sometime.

JethRobyn said...

There are 5 sheep to every one human in New Zealand, but there, everything was so freaking green that the sheep actually looked kind of cool against all the foliage, not the dried nastiness that is Utah's desert! There is a term that they used to tell people to go faster, "Rattle your dags" Just think about sheep and think about that! Happy Birthday to your baby. An empty house during the day, what are you going to do?

Jackie said...

Hey Shaunte,
I stumbled on your blog via Mirms blog. It is so fun to see how your kids are growing! Your blog is great. You are so funny.

Kevin says to tell Sam he says hello.

Way to go on the weight watchers thing. I've been on it for a couple of weeks and I am still not over the being hungry all the freaking time thing.

I can't believe I grew up in Utah and never visited the Geode beds. It looks like fun.

The Brooks Family said...

I'm Niki's sister.. I read your blog through hers and I must say you're hilarious! Just wanted to share with you that we too went to the "sticks" this weekend. But ours was "Topaz mtn" - next to the Geode beds. Just as dusty... and I have pics of the SAME DOG!! He was very menacing!

Mickey Family said...

that looks kinda fun! Maybe we'll have to try that this year???