Thursday, April 24, 2008

My other job.

You know, I have said it before, but I am really lucky.
The whole scrapbooking gig is a good one.
I work for a few really great manufacturers. They treat me so good, and have really fun stuff that I get to play with.
I just love what I do.
That being said, sometimes it is challenging.

I have mentioned before that often I don't have photos to fit the particular themes I am assigned to work with.

That leaves me scrambling for photos from friends or family, or staging a photo shoot to match the assigned theme.

It works out great for the kids a lot of times that way, because we go to places I am not sure we would go to, to fill my "stock" photo obligation. Like the one time we loaded everyone up and went to a Space Museum cause I had rocket/planet/space paper to work with. That was actually fun.

Anyway, sometimes I have other challenges.

Like this last week. I worked a tight deadline for a catalog. They overnighted me the box of papers and stickers and needed it back in a couple days.

They needed two (2) two-page 12x12 layouts and a couple smaller projects.

The paper sent to me was mock-up paper. This means that the real paper was still at the printers being printed, and the paper I had to work with was color copied versions. Not a big deal, I have worked quite a bit with mock-ups.

The stickers were mock-ups too. Color copies. That is a little harder since you have to cut out the images, and glue them down. It is a little more time consuming, but again, I have done it before, not a big deal. It was a big deal once, when I had to cut out mock-up brads. Those were tedious.

I got the box, and inside the box were half sheets of 12x12 paper.

And interestingly enough, some of the half sheets didn't have a matching second half. And I didn't have doubles of any of the designs.

I needed to pull a two-page spread out of half (non-matching) sheets of paper.

I wanted the manufacturer to be happy. I love those guys, and wanted it to look nice.

I stressed. A lot. And sketched some ideas, and was scared to cut the paper, since I had no extras. I cut the stickers and moved them around. And sketched some more, and stressed more. Finally I worked one layout, and second guessed myself, and stressed. I decided to put it aside. They needed to be mailed the next day! Time was ticking! I had a headache, so I went to bed, and thought maybe fresh eyes would give me more ideas.

Well dang.

I dreamed all night about crappy layouts and upset manufacturers, and somehow the dream also involved Gwyneth Paltrow and a poodle. And the next morning I went into the studio, and re-arranged things, and finally....after working THAT WHOLE DAY on two measly spreads, I was finished. I labeled them, and glued them down and mailed them.

Then I waited....for the manufacturer to say something. And maybe ask for a re-do.

They ended up liking them.

I was happy, and so relieved.

So I just wanted everyone to know, sometimes it is kinda challenging to be a designer. It's not always fun.

It still beats cleaning buses for a living.
Or working at the Walmart jewelry counter.
(done both, baby)

By the way, here are the blood, sweat and tears layouts:


Coming to a catalog near you.

In other news:
I got a new calling in my church.
They asked me to be in the Young Women's program.
I get to hang with 14-15 year old girls.
There will be paper crafting....oh yes...there will be paper crafting.

We R 2 cre8 EZ but XLNT projects! :) <---see me brushing up on my text messaging skeelz
There are a lot of meetings, hence my lack of blog time lately.
But I am pretty excited about it.

I have had PTA obligations up the wazoo. You know, the end of the school year approacheth, hence it's a good idea to pack a million things into those last few weeks, field trips, Teacher Appreciation week, dance festivals...all those memorable yet insanely time consuming things.

Mikaylas birthday went off without a hitch. We let her turn five. I didn't cry.


I weighed in again. To keep my Weight Watchers lifetime status, I have to check in once a month.
I was down a couple more pounds, bringing the grand total to thirty pounds lost. Even with that bag o' chips the other day.
And Mikayla's delicious Costco cream cheese frosted chocolate Mousse/crack-cocaine filled birthday cake.
Oh, and the artery clogging Ballpark Frank she insisted on for her birthday dinner.

And that about brings you current.

And brings me to the treadmill.

6 comments:

JethRobyn said...

Wow 30 lbs lost!! Congratulations! That is awesome. Love the layouts, very cool.

Mimi said...

Congratulations on the weight loss!

And, you rocked it!

Anonymous said...

Those layouts are just incredible - I know I would have been weeping over them if I had to do that! Congrats on your 30 lbs weight loss! WOOT! Oh! I finally did get that wonderfully, fantastic purse that you recommended in chocolate brown. I LOVE IT! Thanks for the recommendation!
Jen - Mom of 4

laura vegas said...

those are incredible layouts shaunte! amazing at what you can do under pressure! i've been there too ... mockup product and color-copies and sheets that aren't quite to size. it is challenging ... and i've been scared to death too ... to cut that not-quite-to-size paper without any extra copies. lol! but isn't it great when we can pull it off?!?! lol!

Anonymous said...

congrats on the new calling, you are perfect for those cute girls.
I love what you did with the half sheets of paper and that cake looks mmmm.-Laura

Anonymous said...

ps congrats on the 30lbs, you have worked very hard and now you look very good!!!-Laura