Friday, April 25, 2008

Snow Hats

We took the kids to a local park the other day.

Incidentally, this was the only good weather day Utah has had this spring.
Kinda like the eye in the middle of a tornado.
Yesterday it snowed yet again.
I packed a bag.
I packed my swimsuit and some sunglasses and a trashy novel.
I looked for flights out of this barren, frozen wasteland.
Then the kids came home from school.
We made cake, and I forgot about leaving.

Anyway, at the park.
There was this:

Here is a closer look at the babe on the left:

I blurred her face before sending her out into the world wide web, to save her that one remaining shred of dignity.

Although I am sure that was completely unnecessary on my part, cause this chick was STRRRRRUTTING her stuff at the park. Her straw hat was the bomb-diggity, and she knew. She knew.

Her friend was a little more demure about looking so Mary-Poppins perfect.
But she was still feeling it.
All the heads turned at the park when they went by.

They came screaming into the park in a sweet 8 passenger van.
Honest to Pete, I HAD to go look and see if the licence plates were from that compound in Texas.

They weren't.
They were Utah Centennial plates.

I am sure these icons of motherhood graduated from BYU with a major in Home Economics and a minor in Child Development. I bet they were taking a break from their morning whole wheat bread making and taking advantage of the crisp air to discuss planting their gardens as to yield the best produce to later bottle and preserve.

The kids were well-behaved and dressed with actual matching shoes and socks. Their vocabulary did not contain things like "butt" or "fart-brain."

Mikayla came over right about then, wearing her two-left feet flip-flops. She wanted a drink of my diet Dr. Pepper. I had to put down my IN TOUCH magazine to reach it for her.

And that is when I realized.

I ain't never going to be THAT.
And really, I am okay with it.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

She looks Amish. Unintentionally Amish.

Sara said...

If you started looking like that I might have to stop reading your blog!! lol!! People like that are scarey!!

laura vegas said...

hey, i have that hat! lol! totally kidding of course! i will never be "that mom" either. and we're so much cooler anyways!

Kristin said...

ummmmm, diet Dr. Pepper. i wish i could store a 50 gallon weevil-less drum of the stuff with my one-year food supply (wink), but it gets consumed too quickly in my house.

Mike, Torie and Boys said...

You make me laugh. I needed a good laugh tonight.
I love to go to the park to just watch the people.

All8 said...

Man, I guess I need to get me a hat too. Doubtful that I could "work it" as well though. ;D

Congratulations on your continual weightloss. That's GREAT!

Mag Family said...

I'm not EVER going to be that either, and guess what? I'm glad, and everyone else is too.

Jen Gallacher said...

LOL!! You crack me up. :)

Anonymous said...

You had me laughing out loud as I was reading. I am so like you, reading my People, Us Weekly, or OK magazine and thinking that I will never be that mom either. I just turned 40 but I keep up with all things current and tell my husband that you don't have to 'go there' even as you age:)

Peg Graham said...

Whadya mena? You already ARE that!
Do I have to bring up said 'Fanny Pack?

(snicker, snort, giggle)

You know I love ya' woman!

I just am freaked that here we are in 80-90 degree temps, Spring/Summer like weather....and you got SNOW? Again? I am so very sorry....sending a big shovel...and a sun/snow hat...and craisins....and a hug!

Anonymous said...

I am usually such a lurker here - but this post had me bustin' up!!! I ain't ever gonna be "that" mom either. I do know a bunch of people who pretend to be though ;o)