Saturday, September 01, 2007

The birthday report.

Big sigh.

Birthdays suck turd, don't they? Unless you are five, or sixteen and dying to get your Drivers' licence( ...except if you are from Idaho, then you have had it ever since the parents could use a phone book for you to reach the pedals on the farm truck DAD!!...but here I am off topic.)

I think the whole thing was just bad timing. I was prepping for the big baptism day for the twins. And very stressed. Which, by the way, did you know that if you are NOT a list maker, and DO NOT write your to-do list down, then quite literally your brain can't stop recycling all your tasks. Therefore, you are unable to relax and shut your brain off? Someone did some study on it. I am not a list maker. But I went straight out and got a planner for my mind-dump. (off topic tidbit number two...if you are keeping track.

So at this juncture...me stressing. The house cleaning, the painting, the planning of the luncheon...Sam decided to volunteer to go into work to make up some time. So, he worked a grave-yard shift the night before my birthday. We made plans for the next day, to go to lunch together, finish up the projects and he offered to help me clean the house. Sounds good, right?

I stayed up late that night, doing stuff to the house. Now before you start thinking, MAN, that lady must live in a pit- remember we took on some new projects. The first of which is the gallery wall.

It doesn't look like much, but this was one of those, "this shouldn't take long" projects that actually drags on and on like a ninja movie with dubbed in sub-titles.

Sam helped me with the first couple of frames, and left me on my own with a couple of levels. I am from the school of "eyeball it til it looks right" I think it looks pretty good.

So fast forward to my birthday.

Sam wakes the kids up, and I am thinking YAY! he is going to let me sleep in. With a naive smile on my face, I roll over. Oh no. He wakes me, so I have the privilege of doing Shiannes hair. So now I am up, and the kids are off, and where is Sam? Oh yeah, back asleep with his pillow wrapped around his head.

So I start in on the painting. There is patching (I know how to use orange-peel spray now) and sanding (my arms still hurt) lots of painting, and putting IKEA furniture together. And taking care of Mikayla in between. Sam is still sleeping.

He slept until 1:19. I know this because I was starving. Cause remember he was taking me to lunch? And I turned down an offer to go with a girl friend of mine, to wait for him. So he started puttering around the house, inspecting my work. And I finished off Mikayla's spaghetti-O's in the kitchen.

I was lit. I am telling you, if that man had a tee-time for 8am, he would have sprung out of bed, and miraculously not been tired, but since it was my dumb old birthday, you know, he was tiiiired.

So now the day is pretty much shot, and the kids are due home in a couple of hours. He knew he was in the dog-house, so he went around silently and did jobs. I had to leave, and pick up some stuff for the next day at Costco, and Walmart. When I came back, that man was cleaning out the garage! Holy crap. And he had also cleaned out the laundry room, and the coat closet. You know CAUSE THOSE ARE PLACES OUR GUESTS WILL SEE! Never mind that the kids rooms needed cleaning beyond straightening up the stuffed animals. The bathrooms needed to be scrubbed. The kitchen wasn't even close to being clean. And that man, honestly thought the garage needed to be spiffed up? It is making me mad again to type it.

So basically I worked like a dog, my whole birthday long, and finally fell into bed exhausted at 2:00 am.

Here are the things I will give him credit for(cause occasionally he reads this):
Taking the kids out to pick me a present.
Picking me up some Cafe Rio Pork Salad for dinner.
Buying me a barbecue grill!
Buying me a new car CD player (which was incidentally purchased before the pole accident, now we are not so sure "Old Blue" is worthy of a new stereo)
Finally pulling it all out in the end. But on his time-table.
Oh and:
The full body massage.
Taking the kids camping, and insisting that I stay home and read my new book.
A day off. No cooking. Getting up to do hair, or homework.

Cause all those are forth-coming, right? Honey? I mean, now that the garage is clean, it should free up some time for him.

About the only thing that made me smile the whole day were the e-mails and blog comments that trickled in. So thanks you guys! For making me happy. I will be doing the drawing tomorrow sometime, and will need to collect the addresses of the winners, so stay tuned for that.

And part-two...The Birthday Report Make-up/ Redemption Day.

11 comments:

Alex said...

Oh man... bob does THE SAME THING. I will have to commiserate with you on that later lol. Love the IKEA furniture! :)

Anonymous said...

are all husbands the same ... because that could have been mine! lol! love the photo wall! i'm one who just eyeballs everything ... even if it takes 7 holes in the wall for each thing. luckily i recently discovered the velcro tabs that you stick on the back of the frame ... and then eyeball it and press it to the wall ... genious!

Lora3677 said...

Oh honey... i'm so sorry... men just don't get it, do they? sometimes I wonder why they say they are going to do something and then totally disappoint us... the pictures look fab!! and your room is insanely cute... i eyeball everything, too. :)

{Susan...Seriously.} said...

my dh tends to run to the garage too when we have company coming...guests are staying in the garage, you big dummy!!! it's a man thing for sure...god forbid you forget to treat him "special" on his day though=0) loving the picture gallery and the room looks fab! (of course, because YOU did it!!)

Peg Graham said...

Shaunte- I promise not to wake you up, nor have someone's hair to 'do', I will serve you all your meals and I will gladly sing Happy Birthday to you at Getaway! (count down...7 more weeks)!!!

Candi said...

i hate to laugh, but it seriously sounded like my birthday just a few months ago, just add in spending the majority of the day at the pediatricians and the hospital...gotta love kids! so, next year i have already told matt we are boycotting mothers day and my birthday...i am not setting myself up for two horrific days so close together! let me know if you want to join the boycott!
hope your redemption day ends up being much, much better!

Mimi said...

Sigh. I'm sorry.

Amy B. said...

oh man, I hear you. I totally don't get where their minds are sometimes.

I was having friends over last night and our bathroom sink is stopped up. badly. The one thing I wanted him to do was find a snake and get that thing undone. He's all for running out for draino two hours before they were supposed to come. cause you know the third aplication of drain cleaner is sure to work. sigh.

ah well. their hearts are in the right place even if their brains aren't. Sometimes I think I need a great big priority cleaning list for the house. You know, the top thing that always needs done. dh could start at the top checking for what's been done and what needs to be done next. wouldn't that be nice?

Anonymous said...

HUGS. And an empathetic sigh. The only really fair turn-around is to make sure his birthday is sucky, too. lol. Hope the baptism went well though!!!

Laura said...

Sorry about your birthday! Your husband sounds alot like mine. But, mine would work on the yard (that doesn't need it), instead of thinking of maybe cleaning bathrooms with people coming over... Happy birthday to you though!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

sorry I'm so late but I couldn't resist telling you how great your living room looks...I'm lovin it!
-Laura