Monday, October 13, 2008

On the menu for tonight...

No one in the family likes this but me.
I have been looking forward to it all year long.
Finally Costco has their bags of pre-cut and peeled Butternut Squash in the produce section. I am lazy like that.

The rest of the family can have some mac and cheese.

Butternut Squash Bisque
1 medium butternut squash (about 2 pounds)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion , cut in half and thinly sliced
1 stalk celery , thinly sliced
1 carrot , thinly sliced
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
3/4 cup milk or cream
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Peel squash and remove seeds. Cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks and set aside.

Add oil to a 4-quart saucepot and place over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, and rosemary, and cook until onion begins to brown, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.

Add squash, stock, and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until squash is tender, about 15 minutes. Turn off heat and let soup cool slightly, about 8 minutes.

Using a standard or immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. If using a standard blender, puree in small batches to prevent spillage. Transfer to a clean pot or storage container. Soup can be refrigerated for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 2 months.

When ready to serve, reheat. Add milk, salt, and pepper; stir well. Add additional milk or stock if soup is too thick; simmer 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste, and serve warm.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy! Shaunte, however did you know I had butternut squash galore and needed a good soup recipe??

All8 said...

Mmmm, sounds good. My kids would go for the mac & cheese too.)

Paige and Jason said...

I LOVE butternut squash and surprisingly so do my kids. That sounds way yummy. I think I will have to try it. thanks

Amy Sorensen said...

oh my gosh! That sounds delicious! Squash is actually something that 1/2 of my family will eat (exactly three out of six, and two of those are adults...but, still, 50% is high odds at my house). I am totally fixing this. I'll just make some sort of side dish to make the other half happy!