Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The witch is in.

What age do you think is too old to go trick or treating?
I am leaning towards Junior High age.
But I really don't know what to do with Jayden this year.

I remember how bad my mom hated teenagers trick or treating at our house.
"It's just ridiculous!" she would say, "They should all have JOBS!"

So one year, she emptied out all of the little boxes of Junior Mints and Dots, and refilled those boxes with dried beans. Then she hot-glued the little boxes shut again, and put them in her fancy plastic Halloween bowl.

When the doorbell rang, she would answer, and depending on the age of the child, she would grab the appropriate bowl.

She would literally cackle, when those older kids would dig into the faux-candy bowl.
"Have a few! (my pretties......)

I think it was her funnest year ever...getting that payback.

So I guess that is why I am thinking Junior High is old enough.
We just fixed up all of Jayden's teeth, I can't imagine him chomping down on some dried beans from grandma's house.

13 comments:

7packofbearss said...

That sound just like your mom or mine for that matter!! Send Jayden trick or treating.

Jenn said...

HAHAHA!! is this a vote, cause I am leaning towards your mom!!

Lora3677 said...

ROFL!!!!! I personally think that it's fine until they can drive themself... if they are old enough to drive, then they don't need to go... but I handed out REAL candy to a group of teens last year and you would have been shocked how happy they were I didn't give them any grief. :) BUT They MUST be in costume... that's the ones that bug me... older teens and NO costume and STILL expecting candy... GRRRRR

Kim said...

Seriously-- something must be in our genes. We're all Halloween scrooges. Blame it on Grandma.

Amy B. said...

LOL!! I love it. I really dont' like it when teenagers come trick or treating because they come round at 9:30pm on a school night unaccompanied by any adult. I'm done with trick or treating by then, but they all knock on my door anyway.

Sarah will go to the trunk or treat at church, but I don't think she's dressing up much. She's 8th grade.

Paige and Jason said...

LOL that is the funniest most clever thing I have heard in a while. Last year I got a group of teens at me door at 9:45 pm and...THEY WERENT EVEN WEARING COSTUMES. Just a bunch of punk kids that didn't waste effort just wanted free candy. I told them all I had left was 2 packages of sixlets and they could fight it out...and closed the door.

Anonymous said...

Your mom is awesome!

Eighth grade is the cut off in this house - no matter what the age.

Cori Henderson said...

I love it! That is so hilarious. I stopped trick-or-treating my 8th grade year. I think I should have stopped sooner though.

Cammi said...

BWAHAHA!

what an awesome mom! i love that idea....

Wendy Sue said...

I think if they wear a costume and can't drive themselves (are under 16), it's fine...unless it's late...then I won't answer the door. Your mom must be hilarious - I would SO do that if we had older kids coming (driving themselves with no costume) to our door!!!

Anonymous said...

i agree with your mom...i have a 6th grader and this will be his last year (whether he thinks so or not! lol)

Shannon said...

I LOVE that idea and I'm so going to use it next year. I think 8th grade is about the limit.

Heather said...

Your mother sounds terrible... yet, I can't help but think how fun that would be!!